Blueberry Cornmeal Cake is featured in Bread Over Troubled Water, the 8th Bread Shop Mystery. It’s a lovely light cake, which can also be made gluten free. It’s great when served with homemade whipped cream!
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- Zest from 2 lemons
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour or cup for cup gluten free flour
- 1/2 cup medium-grind yellow cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cups cups fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter or grease an 8-inch springform pan. You can also cut a parchment round to fit the bottom of the pan.
- Stir together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- Cream sugar and butter using stand mixer or hand held mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add lemon zest.
- Add dry ingredients to butter mixture, alternating with buttermilk End with flour mixture.
- Pour batter into prepared cake pan. Sprinkle fresh blueberries on top.
- Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 40-50 minutes. The cake should starts to pull away from the sides of the pan and springs back when lightly pressed in the center with a fingertip.
- Cool in pan 10 minutes. Remove cake from springform pan; serve warm or at room temperature.