Pippin Lane Hawthorne serves up this delectable Blueberry Strata at Sea Captain's Inn on the Outer Banks island of Devil's Cove. Making it with fresh blueberries, especially if they're freshly picked during blueberry season, takes the whole thing up a notch. It's wonderful for brekkie, dessert, or, honestly, whenever! This recipe is featured in Murder Through an Open Door, book 3 in the Pippin Lane Hawthorne Book Magic series. Enjoy!
- 1 loaf of French bread stale is okay!, broken into small rough pieces
- 12 ounces cream chest softened (lite or Neufchatel is fine), cut into small chunks
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 8 eggs
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup half & half
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- Coat a 9×13 inch pan with butter or cooking spray, or use a piece of parchment paper.
- Spread the chunks of bread in the pan.
- Layer the small chunks of cream cheese and the blueberries on top of the bread.
- In a bowl, mix together the eggs, syrup, milk and half & half, as well as the cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Pour the egg/milk mixture over the bread. Press the bread down to make sure it is all saturated.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, bring the pan to room temperature. Meanwhile preheat the oven to 350°.
- Bake for 30 minutes, covered with foil.
- Remove the foil and bake for an additional 30 minutes.
- Allow to rest for a few minutes before serving with a side of warm maple syrup.
Note: You can make this in individual ramekins instead of as a large single dish. Enjoy this tasty breakfast dish!