Devil's Brew is the café on the island of Devil's Cove in the Book Magic series. Ruby Monroe is the owner and baker of all the delectable sweet treats, including this yummy blueberry scone recipe. I make them gluten free with a one-to-one flour blend...or make them using regular old wheat flour. Either way they are delicious!
- 2 cups all purpose gluten free flour blend
- 1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 6 T butter
- 1 cup fresh or frozen berries of your choice. Blueberries are Ruby’s favorite.
- 1 cup plus 1 Tablespoon, if needed, milk (oat milk works too)
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Zest from one lemon optional
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and prepare a baking sheet by lining it with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, whisk together dry ingredients.
- Cut butter into small chunks. Using a pastry cutter, cut butter into the flour mixture.
- Add the milk and lightly mix together until just blended.
- Add more milk if needed. If you are including the lemon juice and zest, add now.
- Stir in berries.
- Flour the counter and turn out dough. Gently press into a rectangle shape about 1/2 thick.
- Divide rectangle in half. Divide each have into triangular quarters. You will have 8 equal triangles. Place on prepared baking sheet.
- Brush each triangle with milk and sprinkle liberally with large granular or regular sugar.
- Bake 15-20 minutes, or until lightly browned.
Serve for brekkie or midafternoon tea...or even for dessert.