Sausage bread is something my family started making when I was a kid. It’s become a family favorite. I make it all through fall and winter to accompany soup, most often potato cheese soup.If I start my (gluten-free) bread dough around 3:30, or even 4:00 PM. I use this Gluten Free on a Shoestring French Bread recipe. When I have time and plan ahead, I use this Let Them Eat Gluten-Free recipe.You can use any bread recipe you choose, or when you’re in a hurry, grab a package of ready-made dough from the freezer section of your grocery store’s freezer.
- French Bread recipe of your choice
- 1 Jimmy Dean sausage or similar, cooked and drained
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 T water
- After dough has risen, divide in two and roll both into a large rectangle.
- Spread cooked and crumbled sausage on dough, leaving an inch free all the way around.
- Working horizontally, roll up the dough, jelly roll style. Pinch ends so sausage does not fall out.
- Place dough on a rimmed cookie sheet or French bread pan.
- Allow to go through a second rise, approximately 45-60 minutes.
- Brush dough with egg yolk wash of yolk and water.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes, or until golden brown.