Sausage bread is something my family started making when I was a kid. It’s become a family favorite. I make it all through fall and winter to accompany soup, most often potato cheese soup.
I usually start my (gluten free) bread dough around 3:30, or even 4:00 PM. I use this Gluten Free on a Shoestring French Bread recipe. You can use any bread recipe you choose, or when you’re in a hurry, grab a package of ready-made dough from the freezer section of your grocery store’s freezer.
French Bread recipe of your choice
1 Jimmy Dean sausage, or similar, cooked and drained
1 egg yolk
1 T water
1. After dough has risen, divide in two and roll both into a large rectangle.
2. Spread cooked and crumbled sausage on dough, leaving an inch free all the way around.
3. Working horizontally, roll up the dough, jelly roll style. Pinch ends so sausage does not fall out.
4. Place dough on a rimmed cookie sheet or French bread pan.
5. Allow to go through a second rise, approximately 45-60 minutes.
6. Brush dough with egg yolk wash of yolk and water.
7. Bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes, or until golden brown.