Miguel makes this hearty soup in A Murder Yule Regret. Ivy makes a sourdough loaf to complete the meal. Nothing is better on a cold winter day.
3-4 Italian sausages (choose your level of spiciness)
3 celery stalks, cut into bite-sized pieces
3 carrots, cut into bite-sized pieces
2-3 turnips, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 medium onion, diced
1 bunch of kale, leaves only, roughly chopped
5-6 red potatoes, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 package gnocchi, prepared separately
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 T fresh thyme or 1 tsp dried
1 T fresh rosemary or 1 tsp dried
1 bay leaves (remove before serving)
1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
Salt to taste
Parmesan cheese for garnish
- Using a skillet, preheat over medium heat. Add olive oil.
- Remove sausage from casings. Separate into chunks and cook in skillet until browned and cooked through. Drain fat and set aside. Alternatively, slice sausage and cook this way.
- Using a large stock pot or dutch oven, preheat over medium heat. Add chopped celery, carrots, turnips, and onion. Sauté until vegetables have softened. Add garlic.
- Add sausage, stock, potatoes, kale, and herbs. Simmer until potatoes are soft enough to poke through with a fork and kale is tender.
- Prepare gnocchi separately. Spoon into bowl. Add soup.
- Garnish with shaved or grated parmesan cheese.
- Salt to taste.