Ruby’s cafe, Devil’s Brew, is the Go To coffee shop on the island of Devil’s Cove. She has something for everyone, including gluten free scones! These are fantatic!
2 cups all purpose gluten free flour blend
1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp xanthan gum
2 Tablespoons sugar
6 T butter
1 cup fresh or frozen berries of your choice. Blueberries are Ruby’s favorite.
1 cup, plus 1 Tablespoon, if needed, milk (oat milk works too)
1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Zest from one lemon (optional)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees and prepare a baking sheet by lining it with parchment paper.
1. In a bowl, whisk together dry ingredients.
2. Cut butter into small chunks. Using a pastry cutter, cut butter into the flour mixture.
3. Add the milk and lightly mix together until just blended.
Add more milk if needed. If you are including the lemon juice and zest, add now.
4. Stir in berries.
5. Flour the counter and turn out dough. Gently press into a rectangle shape about 1/2 thick.
6. Divide rectangle in half. Divide each have into triangular quarters. You will have 8 equal triangles. Place on prepared baking sheet.
7. Brush each triangle with milk and sprinkle liberally with large granular or regular sugar.
8. Bake 15-20 minutes, or until lightly browned.